About PDX Commons


We’ve all lived pretty good lives, and we aim for that to continue. We are taking action now to make sure we can keep on living as well as possible. Many people wait too long before making changes that are necessary for the transition to the next phase of their lives.

The need to plan for future physical challenges is obvious. But so is the need to for a sustainable community of friends and neighbors. Highly social settings counter social isolation, which becomes common as we get older and has negative effects on our physical and mental health.

Cooperation — a willingness to share the load, share work and share our joys and sorrows.

Nurturing — caring to help others through both happy and difficult times.

Optimism — thinking positively and optimistically; knowing how to have fun and enjoy life.


PDX Commons is a senior cohousing community as described in “Senior Cohousing — A Community Approach to Independent Living” by Chuck Durrett. Under fair housing laws and regulations, we are a designated senior community. At least one person age 55 or older must live in at least 80 percent of our homes. They may have children or younger adults living with them. There are no age restrictions on the remaining 20 percent of our homes.

PDX Commons will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, sex, gender identity, marital status, source of income or sexual orientation.

Reference: Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995 (HOPA), ORS Chapter 659A, Multnomah County Ordinance 15.340.

Scroll to Top